Saudi observers pulled from AL mission

  Share this

Saudi Foreign Minister Saud al-Faisal Pics By NewslineToday    Gallery Enlarge Image

By Manju Shukla
Date  23 Jan 2012

Saudi Arabia has pulled its representatives from an Arab League observer mission tasked with monitoring the implementation of a resolution to end the unrest in Syria.
 
In a statement read during a ministerial meeting of the 22-member Arab organization in the Egyptian capital Cairo on Sunday, Saudi Foreign Minister Saud al-Faisal said Riyadh is withdrawing from the observer mission because “the Syrian government has not respected any of the clauses” of the resolution.
 
On Sunday, a panel of five foreign ministers from the Arab League member states met in Cairo to discuss a report on the situation in Syria submitted by Sudanese General Mohammed Ahmed Mustafa al-Dabi, head of the observer mission in the country.
 
During the 22-member ministerial meeting, the panel recommended that the Arab League extend the presence of its observer mission in Syria by one month. The mission was previously scheduled to end on Thursday.
 
The observer mission has been in Syria since December 26, 2011.

The Saudi decision comes despite Dabi's remarks last month that Damascus was “very cooperative” with the observers.
 
The Syrian government says foreign-sponsored “outlaws, saboteurs and armed terrorist groups” are responsible for the unrest in the country that broke out in mid-March 2011.
 

Latest News  





 
Archive | Contact Us | Disclaimer | Feedback | Gallery Copyright 2007-2017 NewslineToday.com Follow us