Suspects destroy Afghan mass graves

  Share this

Local Afghan villagers bury the victims killed in a NATO air strike Pics By NewslineToday    Gallery Enlarge Image

vasco Tiwari
Date  30 April 2012
Afghanistan's Independent Human Rights Commission says some war crimes suspects in the country are trying to destroy mass graves.


Shamsullah Ahmadzai, head of the regional office of the Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission, told Radio Azadi (Radio Free Afghanistan) on Saturday that the destruction of the mass graves is a bid by war crimes suspects to escape justice.

The commission has asked the government to ensure the safety of the graves. There is no information on the exact number of mass graves in the country. But some sources report dozens of such sites. They have been reported in the eastern provinces of Kabul, Parwan, Balkh, and Kapisa.

The Independent Human Rights Commission says it has no knowledge about which warring groups or eras the graves are linked to.

The United States and some of its allies invaded Afghanistan in October 2001.

Insecurity continues to rise across Afghanistan, despite the presence of about 130,000 US-led forces in the country.

According to official figures released by the website icasualties.org, 123 US-led troops have been killed in Afghanistan so far this year.

As casualties have risen in Afghanistan over the past few months, public opinion has begun turning against the war in the United States and other countries.

In addition, hundreds of civilians have lost their lives in US-led operations in various parts of Afghanistan over the past few months, with Afghans becoming more and more outraged over the seemingly endless number of deadly assaults.

Latest News  





 
Archive | Contact Us | Disclaimer | Feedback | Gallery Copyright 2007-2017 NewslineToday.com Follow us